We recently blogged about Artificial Intelligence in the Legal Sector in respect of a study showing that 48% of London law firms surveyed were already using AI and a further 41% will soon start. While some firms are only beginning to consider investing in such legal technology, others such as Ashurst are taking greater steps.
With its expanding Glasgow support base now playing a key role for its global integrated platform, Ashurst have over the past couple of years been recruiting more legal technologists, who must have a law degree and an understanding of automation, cloud computing, crowd sourcing and big data. This legal technologist role, as predicted by Richard Susskind, is now on the rise, as is the LegalTech / LawTech market more broadly, with one of the goals being to incorporate technology to drive efficiency to meet modern client expectations.
And for this team of legal technologists in Glasgow, Ashurst are seeking a Legal Technologist Manager, the job specification for which is available here: Legal Technologist Manager Role in Glasgow and below – worth sharing with any contacts you think may be interested.
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area – Legal Technologist team, Ashurst Advance
Role: Legal Technologist Manager
Location: Based in Ashurst’s Glasgow office, travelling as necessary to Ashurst’s London office and other international offices
Reporting to: Head of Digital Legal Services
Hours of work Monday to Friday, 09:00 – 17:30. You will be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out your duties
Department/ Role Overview:
Working on an integrated basis with Ashurst’s legal experts globally, Ashurst Advance delivers innovative, market-leading legal services delivery solutions, consistent with Ashurst’s status as a global elite firm. Innovative legal technology is a key enabler of Ashurst Advance’s offerings.
You will use your skills to support the delivery of legal services by colleagues throughout the global Ashurst network of offices. You will support your colleagues in winning new work through demonstrating Ashurst’s integrated approach to the delivery of legal services in conjunction with legal technology.
You will also manage the UK based Legal Technologist team on a day to day basis, working towards the team’s annual goals.
More broadly, you will work towards, and support achievement of, the Ashurst 2020 Business Plan.
The Legal Technologist team’s FY2019 goals include:
- Achieving the annual usage target for document automation across the global firm
- Facilitating the adoption of innovative new ways to deliver legal services including through use of:
o Kira machine learning document review software
o HighQ Collaborate portal
o DocuSign e-signing platform
- Pitching and presenting to Ashurst’s clients regarding our legal technology capabilities.
You will be working alongside, and supervising the work of a small group of legal technologists. You will report directly to the Head of Digital Legal Services.
- Promoting legal services delivered by our colleagues by demonstrating efficiencies which can be achieved through the integrated usage of legal technology
- Supporting and supervising the delivery of legal technology solutions directly to our clients in appropriate circumstances
- Demonstrating and promoting the use of legal technology tools to internal clients and stakeholders;
- Liaising with, and developing relationships with, colleagues around the world to coordinate workflow and support the implementation of legal technology tools; and
- Training colleagues and stakeholders in the use of legal technology tools.
Management of work in progress
- Managing and prioritising workflow within the legal technologist group including:
o evaluating incoming tasks
o allocating tasks to team members
o monitoring the delivery of tasks in a timely manner
- Coordinating the sign off / approval process with the Head of Digital Legal Services, other Legal Technology Managers and colleagues in other offices; and
- Managing team meetings.
- Provide guidance and support to members of the legal technologist team regarding:
o processes for efficiently delivering high quality work product;
o effective workplace communications including guidance regarding email tone; and
o maintaining a collegiate and professional work culture.
- Support diversity and engagement of team members
- Carrying out monthly catch up meetings with legal technologist team members
- Ensure that appropriate processes are in place so that all work is:
o carried out in compliance with Ashurst protocols and styles;
o client ready; and
o otherwise to a high standard of quality and consistency.
Essential skills and experience:
- Demonstrate strong personal interest in technology and aptitude for use of technology in delivery of legal services and willingness to learn new technologies quickly and adaptably
- Experience of working within the legal sector (either as a lawyer or working closely with lawyers in their day to day work legal service delivery activities)
- Demonstrate confidence in dealings with clients and the market
- Proven or developing people management skills
- Committed to leading by example and demonstrating Ashurst values in daily work
- Extremely high attention to detail
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Clear understanding of the broader commercial context in which Ashurst operates
- Ability to supervise and coach others to assist with development of other team members
- You must develop an advanced skill level in respect of all legal technology tools used by the Legal Technologist team.
- Communicate clearly and effectively, demonstrate ability to adapt to different client styles and behaviours
- Can clearly understand instructions and not afraid to ask for clarity or challenge instructions where appropriate
- Owns up to mistakes and takes responsibility for actions instilling a no blame culture
- Shows resilience and ability to develop from constructive feedback
- Contributes to wider office activities
Training & Support:
You will be provided with all the required training, mentoring and coaching to enable you to attain the required technical skills and to develop your expertise further at the intersection of technology and law.
Hiring and developing new Legal Technologists
- Assisting the Glasgow HR team with future recruitment of team members
- Supervising the induction and training of new Legal Technologists
Providing support to other offices
The Legal Technologist group supports Ashurst in its operations around the world. Accordingly, you will be required to carry out travel domestically and internationally as necessary to support the objectives of the Legal Technologist team and the broader business objectives of Ashurst Advance. If you are required to travel for work, your travel and living expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with Ashurst travel policy.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requires and internal policies.